Friday, August 29, 2014

Hanging Book Pocket – An Organizational Project

School is in session and since I only have two boys to entertain during the day, my project list is growing! There are so many things I would love to work on but organization is at the top of my list. I have been searching for the best way to store children’s books on a small budget. Bookcases are expensive and also a climbing temptation, plus we don’t have a lot of empty wall space in our living room. But I think I may have found my solution! 

While looking at ideas for car organization, I happened to come across a Pin for a book holder for the backseat and it inspired me to create this hanging book holder to use on our banister. So off I went into my craft closet to look for the supplies I needed.

1. I found the valance material I had removed from the windows of our house when we first moved in. (Having a minor hording problem has its benefits) It was finished at 12” and a nice sturdy cotton. I cut and hemmed it at 30” long.


2. For the main pockets I used the left over material from the storage boxes in my Laundry Room Makeover. I cut each panel a little wider than the backing so it would give room for more books. Each panel was approximately 10” x 14”.

3. I attached the panels to the backing with a simple top stitch (hopefully you can sew in a straight line, if not, you can make yours a little wavy like mine)


4. I made the ties by cutting four strips and sewing two edges closed on the wrong side

5. I used a pencil to assist in turning the ties to the right side. I ironed them flat and folded under the remaining raw edge

6. I attached two ties to each corner on the top of the backing material – since this was originally a curtain valance it had rod pockets on top and bottom, so I stuffed the ends of my ties into the pockets and sewed it with a zig-zag stitch for add strength

7. I ended up using four panels but the fourth one I made smaller to match the reveal size of each pocket, approximately 7.5” Next time I think I will make the panels a little shorter and possibly add more

After it was all done, I tied it on our banister and filled it with books. It is a nice simple solution to our storage problem. I think I need to make two or three more to hold all of the books we own but this is a great start. Total I spent approximately 2-3 hours on the project and ZERO dollars. Functional and Free. The best combination! 

I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend!
Until Next Time, 
Sonja







1 comment: