Thursday, June 4, 2015

Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins - THM {E}, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Low Fat

Summer has officially arrived at our house. My oldest graduated from Kindergarten this week! All A's and the Reading Achievement Awards... It was a proud Mommy moment. :-)


Having all four boys home from school for the summer means LOTS of snack requests. As we continue in our journey of healthy eating I am always on the look out for easy recipes to fill my picky eaters with nutritious snacks rather than empty calories. We have enjoyed this Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffin recipe in the past, with whole wheat and honey it is great for the kids as is. However, since I have been a Trim Healthy Mama (affiliate) since March 2014 I wanted to convert the recipe to be on plan and be able to enjoy some of these yummy muffins as well.  I am please to say they turned out great!


Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins - THM {E}, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Low Fat
Makes 12 Muffins

Ingredients:

1 Medium Sweet Potato, Cooked

Dry:
2 Cups Oat Flour (Ground Old Fashioned Oats)
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves

Wet:
1/3 Cup Liquid Egg Whites (or whites from 2 large eggs)
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Cup of Water
1/4 Cup Sweet Blend/Truvia

6 doonks* (1/32 of a Teaspoon) Pure Stevia powder
*We started with just the Sweet Blend and added the Stevia, 2 doonks at a time until the desired sweetness was reached

Directions:
Cook Sweet Potato with desired method (I used the Potato Sensor Cook option on my Microwave - could bake in 400 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes)

Preheat (or reduce) oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin with paper liners

In Large Bowl: mix dry ingredients.
In Medium sized bowl: Peel and mash sweet potato add wet ingredients; except Stevia Powder. Mix well (I blended mine with an immersion blender until smooth, because I got one for Mother's Day and I love it and use it for everything!)

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined.  Taste and add Stevia accordingly.
Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 12-15 minutes

Notes:
The original recipe calls for a almond/oat topping, I left this out as to not have to worry about adding any fat to this recipe to keep it well within {E} boundaries. 
Also, you could use all Stevia with this recipe and leave out the Sweet Blend, I might try this next time and add 1/4 Cup more water to make up the difference in bulk if necessary.

Converting recipes is always an experiment. I am grateful for my Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle and how it has not only given me food freedom but also more confidence in the kitchen!

Enjoy and have a happy and healthy summer!

Until Next Time,
Sonja






No comments:

Post a Comment