Tuesday, October 15, 2013

This is my life

His

This is my life.



As I walk down the aisles at our local Walmart with my ducklings in tow, one in the cart and two following behind (or rushing ahead) I am always greeted by smiling retirees who offer the same questions and statements: “What aisle did you get those in?” “Boy, you have your hands full!” “Are those all yours?” seem to be the top three. Then there is the occasional knowing glance from an experienced Mother of boys whom with eyes full of memories states “Boys are the best and with kindness, reminds me to cherish each moment. And everyone stops to squeeze on the baby with big blue eyes and thumb securely in his mouth. He happily returns their greeting with a big toothless smile. In all honesty there are times I am annoyed by all the same statements and being interrupted at every turn and I’m sure as my pregnant belly continues to grow I will only receive these comments all the more. 

Nevertheless, these times remind me of my blessings. My boys are well behaved (for the most part) in the store and beautiful enough to stop traffic so there isn’t much to complain about. This is my life. Trips to Walmart with boys spilling out around me. The closer I get to the birth of my fourth baby boy the more I realize how full our life will be, with everything that is BOY! Sports. Cars. Fighting. Dirt. Bugs. Hunting. Fishing. And all of it times FIVE (including my husband.) 

Looking back I can see how God has been preparing me for this adventure my entire life.  My older brother, my only sibling, and I are very close. Relating to boys always came easier to me than building friendships with girls. A struggle that has left scars from relationships throughout high school but now as an adult I treasure my female companions. I can see the distinct ways God has designed me and now I know why. 

There will not be ruffles or lace. No painted nails or pretty dresses, but I was never really good at those things anyway. There won’t be Barbies or baby dolls or a Mother of the Bride title in my future. But oh how I am looking forward to watching these boys grow into men! I can only pray that we will guide them to become men of integrity, honor, and faith. That I will show them what a confident woman of God looks like. And teach them to never settle for anything less than what God has planned, even if it goes against everything the world says they need. 

So I will play catch and help bait hooks. I will attempt to maintain my composure while trapping bugs and maybe even climb a tree stand. No, I won’t be just one of the boys. I will still be Mom, just a mom who is not afraid to get her hands dirty. Because I want to be there for ALL of it! 

Until next time, get out there and enjoy life!
Sonja


  


1 comment: